Saturday, April 2, 2011

LOVE

So, I'm still reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan. The challenge that has been resonating in my heart is that of learning to love well - love God and love others. Isn't that really the most important part of being a Christ-follower? Love the Lord your God with all your heart,with all your soul, and with all your mind. And love your neighbor as yourself. Doesn't God's word say that love covers a multitude of sins? So, then, what does it really look like to love God and love others well? I've tried to let love be my main focus - after all, if I'm loving well, it's probably working on all the other areas too - like growing in patience, growing in humility, lessening pride, etc. Here are the verses that I read this morning in Crazy Love: If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid to full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be mercififul, just as your Father is merciful. Luke 6:32-36 I've read those verses many times and am challenged in so many ways. It's so easy to love those who are easy to love, who love back or give back to you in some way. But what about those who truly aren't nice, aren't kind, don't give back to you in any way? We are called to love them, to do good to them, and to lend to them. I love the verse that says Jesus is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Thus, I need to be kind to the ungrateful and the wicked. How many times I find myself hurt or offended because someone wasn't grateful for what I did. That's just pride and contrary to how Jesus calls us to live. Can I live this way in my flesh? No. This is contrary to how we function in our flesh. That's why we need the Holy Spirit - to help us function in a supernatural way. Don't you think people would take notice if they saw someone love well a person who was ungrateful and wicked? That's LOVE! That's extraordinary! So,when I think about my own life and being around those who I feel hurt me or don't treat me well, instead of focusing on the hurt and the resentment, I need to focus on LOVE, letting Christ's love flow through me. Every time I forgive an offense, I'm showing love. Every time I overlook a slight, I'm showing love. Every time I am kind to someone who isn't being kind to me, I am demonstrating love. Tough to do? Absolutely! Possible to do? Absolutely, with Christ's help. So, this weekend, I'm focusing on intentionally showing love to those around me, especially my sister and other family members. Overlook hurt feelings and slights I feel and just be kind and caring. I want to look at hurts and unkindness as opportunities to reflect the love of Jesus. God, help me to do this well.

No comments:

Post a Comment