Monday, April 18, 2011

I Do Not Know It All

Ever have one of those days where God uses people in your life to gently nudge you about the areas in your own life that you need to work on?  Today, I had one of those days.  I was talking to a father and a son, who both complain about the other one being "stubborn", "hard headed", "thinks he knows everything".  While I wouldn't necessarily use these words to describe me, I had a quick flashback to a conversation I had with my mom earlier in the day.  She and my dad are going out of town for Easter, so my husband and I are having the rest of our family over to our house for Easter brunch.  My mom called to talk to me about the menu, etc, and we ended up arguing about what the best menu was for the day.   Are you serious?  Yes, I'm serious.  All of a sudden the words "stubborn", "hard headed", "thinks she knows everything" kind of seem like they apply to me.  My OPINION on the Easter menu trumped my relationship with my mom in that moment.  Why do I get so caught up in things that really don't matter all that much? 

So, I'm reminded of the words I used tonight when talking to the father and son.  We all must talk less and listen more.  We all must be willing fess up when we mess up!  We have to remember that there is a big difference between OPINIONS and FACTS.   We can have different opinions, and that's okay.  So, my new focus is on talking less and listening more; not being so stubborn on having things my way.   I guess this would be a good time to start, as my husband is lying next to me asking me to put up the computer - I'm keeping him up with my typing:)

No comments:

Post a Comment