Saturday, April 16, 2011

It's not about me!

Do you ever have to be reminded that life isn't really about you -what's best for you,what you want to do, what your goals and plans include, etc.  We think about ourselves WAY more than we should.  Sometimes we just have to kill that old ugly flesh.  I feel like the Holy Spirit helped me die to myself the day I agreed to work on Saturdays.  Kind of a long story, but I'll try to make it brief.   Months ago, Adam and I had agreed to do IVF in April.  Then, in March sometime, Adam changed his mind and thought we should wait longer because of our financial situation.  As we were trying to come up with a solution, Adam asked me about working on Saturdays to help bring in more income.  Since Emerson was born, I've been blessed to work one day a week  outside of the home (Mondays) and spend the rest of the time at home raising Emerson.  I'm a marriage and family therapist, so I work part-time at a counseling center.  Even though I really do enjoy counseling, I didn't want to give up every Saturday to work.  There are many reasons why, but in all honesty, they were all selfish reasons. 

On our way to church a few weeks ago, I just decided I was going to stop being selfish.  I told Adam I could work on Saturdays to help bring in more income for the family - it was the right thing to do on many levels.  I just had to remember that "it's not always about me".  Since that time, I've been working Saturdays and we are moving forward with IVF next week.  You know our situation with finances if you've read previous blog posts, and I've seen how God has met all of our needs.  I've also seen how by letting go of selfishness, it's brought Adam and me closer together as a couple.  Sometimes we just need to be reminded "it's not all about me".    I'm sure I'll need reminding of this tomorrow again (or probably later on today). 

No comments:

Post a Comment