Sunday, April 3, 2011

God is Good

It's been a great day! I've seen God work and move today.  This might be a long story, so bear with me.  We found out on Thursday night that my sister was coming into town this weekend,which would mean we would be spending time with my extended family so we could all be together.  My husband and I haven't had much time together recently due to work schedules, and he wanted us to make plans for some "couple time" together Sunday afternoon.  Well, I knew my mom was planning to have everyone over to her house on Sunday, but she wouldn't commit to a time.  She wasn't sure whether she'd have people over for lunch or dinner.  My husband is a planner, and he wanted to plan our Sunday in advance so he would know what to expect for the day. Well, I felt torn between my husband and my extended family.  My husband didn't want to "play it by ear" like my mom wanted to do, and I wanted to spend time with both my husband and my family.  The more I asked my husband if we could just be flexible and play it by ear on Sunday, the more adamant he became about nailing down when we would spend our time together. 

While my husband was gone on an errand on Saturday, God just nudged me about submitting to Adam.  I don't always have to have things my way.  Sometimes I just have to stop and let Adam lead, even when I have a different opinion.  I needed to show Adam that he is valued and important - over any other earthly relationships.  In that moment on Saturday, I knew God had opened my eyes about valuing my husband and submitting to him.  When he came home from his errand, I just told him that spending time with him is my priority and we'd make our arrangements for our date.  I knew my family would be upset if we missed out on time with them and they wouldn't understand why we couldn't just all be together, but I left that in God's hands.  I was doing what I knew was right and that was putting my husband first. 

Sunday came around, and of course my mom wanted everyone to come over at the time Adam and I had planned our date.  I told my mom we already had plans to have a date, and she volunteered to watch our daughter for us later in the day if we could come over for lunch.  I asked Adam about it, and he was fine with that plan.  So, it turns out that we were able to spend time with my family and have a great date together.  I believe God really worked it out and blessed my day by allowing all relationships to be nurtured. 

The time with my family went really well.  When we pulled up to my parents' house, I asked Adam to pray before we went in.  His prayer was simple and straightforward - asking God for us to bless and encourage family members and to guard our mouths from saying anything we shouldn't.  Perfect Prayer!  We had fun with everyone, laughed a lot, and just enjoyed being together.  I wasn't focused on my insecurities or feeling left out or anything - I was just focused on enjoying those around me and showing love. 

My lesson today:  being willing to "let go" of what I want and letting go of trying to please everyone; being willing to put my husband and his needs ahead of others.  In doing so today, God blessed me and blessed all of my relationships.  Now, if I can just remember to "let go" more often...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment