Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Another step in the right direction - IVF update

Today, I found out that out of the 7 follicles retrieved yesterday, 6 were mature and 5 have fertilized.  It sounds good to me.  Now, that doesn't mean all 5 fertilized eggs will continue to develop.  I'm supposed to call back tomorrow to see how they are developing and when the embryo transfer will occur.  It's weird to be finding myself praying for the development of those little embryos. I've drifted off praying for them several times today - that they would grow and develop normally and implant in my uterus.  When the science of baby-making is broken down, you see how much of a miracle "life" really is - how many complex things must come together to create life, and how one breakdown can cause life not to occur.  It's such a fragile thing! 

I was reading some online articles last night about the effect exercise has on the IVF process and outcome.  Of course there are probably many different views, I read one recent article that said the IVF process is actually one of the few occasions when exercise is not helpful.  Because I am an exercise addict, not really, but I do work out 6 days a week rather strenuously, I started to worry about my current exercise routine.  Will running cause me not to become pregnant?  Will doing regular strenuous workouts negatively affect implantation?  I don't know, but it has me concerned.  I started praying that God would give me wisdom if there was anything I needed to do differently during the next few weeks awaiting pregnancy results.  I emailed the IVF nurse yesterday asking about whether my current exercise routine was safe to continue at this point.  She advised against any high impact activity, such as running, and said to stay with low-impact activities that do not raise the heart rate very high.  Mixed Emotions!  I'm sad that I have to scale back for so many reasons.  One reason I'm sad is that I'm not naturally athletic.  I work hard to achieve results and running is something that never has come easily.  I'm afraid of losing my endurance and abilities when I stop running.  I also worry about weight gain.  I have to work extremely hard just to maintain my weight.  IF I"m not working out as hard, will I gain weight?  On the other hand, I did pray to God for wisdom and i do feel like the nurse's response was confirmation of what I needed to hear - SLOW DOWN, let your body rest.  I needed permission for that, and God knew that. 

So, I will heed medical advice.  I will slow down, do yoga and other low impact activities.  I will rest and take it easy.  I have the rest of my life to work out hard and train but maybe only this one opportunity to have another child.  Which is more important?  There's no contest - I'll take another baby any day over my exercise routine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment