Friday, March 25, 2011

1 Peter 3

During my quiet time this morning, I read 1 Peter 3 which reads: "Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight".

As I meditated on that scripture, I was convicted by my stubborn heart. I've never really seen myself as a prideful person, but God has revealed sin in my life and heart. He's shown me how I often times want MY way rather than submitting to my husband with purity and reverence. Wow, purity and reverence. How do I do that? Obviously, with the Holy Spirit's help. It says earlier in 1 Peter 2 that slaves are to submit themselves to their masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh. For it is commendable if a man bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God. I take from that scripture that I am to submit to my husband with respect and purity EVEN WHEN he is harsh. That really kicks me in the butt! This is when my prideful spirit rears it's ugly head. I think I DESERVE to defend myself or I DESERVE to assert my rights, etc. I'm not saying we don't express our feelings or work on improving relationship issues, but I do feel challenged by God's Word to submit to my husband, die to myself and my way of seeing things.

The more I learn about God and His call for our lives, the better I understand the need for Jesus' death and resurrection and the need for the Holy Spirit. Holy living can't be done by our efforts. We need God's grace!

Lord, forgive me of my sins. I want to live a holy and pleasing life, but how often I find myself letting you down. I'm thankful for your Holy Spirit to guide and convict me. I'm thankful for your grace and mercy that you give new each day. I'm thankful for your love and faithfulness. Help me to serve and love Adam well. Let me submit to him with a pure and reverent heart as I depend on you. I realize my utter dependence on you to live the right ways. I desire your ways above all else, help me to die to myself so that you can reign in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment